We invite you to explore the many opportunities and benefits of joining World Health Organization, WHO.
World Health Organization, Offer professionals a unique opportunity to contribute to saving lives and support people’s health worldwide.
Candidates appointed to an international fixed-term position with World Health Organization, WHO, may be assigned to any activity or duty station of the Organization throughout the world.
National Professional Officer – Laboratory (NO-C) At World Health Organization
|Job Title||National Professional Officer – Laboratory (NO-C)|
|Contract duration||6 months|
|Contractual Arrangement||Special Services Agreement (SSA)|
|Application closing date||26th June, 2019 at 10:59:00 PM|
Purpose of the Position
- The mission of WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme (WHE/Nigeria) is to help Nigeria, and to coordinate international action, to prevent, prepare for, detect, rapidly respond to, and recover from outbreaks and emergencies.
Description of Duties
- Supervised by the WHE Laboratory technical officer, under the supervision of the WHO Country Representative and working closely with WHO country office clusters, WHO counterparts at the Africa Regional Office and HQ, the incumbent will act as the subject matter expert for laboratory within the health operations and expertise team.
- S/he will support the laboratory component of the incident management system, and provide technical support to the Federal Ministry of Health (MOH) and partners within the health sector.
- Provide technical support to the National Reference Laboratory to strengthen laboratory capacity for rapid detection and response to priority pathogens: measles/yellow fever, cerebrospinal meningitis, cholera, Lassa fever, monkeypox
- Develop guidelines and other laboratory tools for laboratory performance in line with IDSR and IHR guidelines and establish targets and measurable indicators for the monitoring and evaluation of laboratory services;
- Develop, plan and implement training workshops to improve sample collection, packaging and shipping at national and state levels
- Develop and monitor the national specimen transportation and referral system for epidemic prone diseases;
- To provide oversite of the public health network stock management and supply chain system for laboratory consumables;
- Work with WHO County office clusters to provide technical and operational support to ensure timely ordering of laboratory reagents and consumables and implementation of laboratory related workplans to strengthen laboratory capacity at public and state laboratories
- Ensure adherence to good laboratory practice and biosafety management at public and state laboratories
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned by his/her supervisor
- Essential: Advanced University degree (Master’s level or above) in Life Science, Medicine or Medical Virology from an accredited/ recognized institute. Certified training or qualification in molecular biology, virology, bacteriology, infectious diseases, and/or epidemiology and laboratory techniques.
- Desirable: Master’s level degree in public health or health related field.
- Essential: At least five years of practical and operational application and management of laboratory services, laboratory diagnosis of communicable diseases at the national and international levels. Some related experience in outbreaks and/or health emergency response of international impact.
- Experience in establishing or improving laboratory infrastructure for microbiology and/or detection of infectious diseases.
- Experience in planning and implementing laboratory trainings at national and regional levels.
- Previous experience in UN organizations/agencies, health cluster partners, recognized humanitarian organizations, international institutions or nongovernmental organizations, particularly in developing countries.
Use of language skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English
- Specific skills required: Demonstrated proficiency using software applications, including PowerPoint, MS word, spreadsheet and databases,EPI Info, SPSS etc
- Producing result
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Communicating in a credible and efficient way
- Moving forward in a changing environment
How to Apply for National Professional Officer – Laboratory (NO-C) at World Health Organization
- Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply online
Note: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.